Curious links for May 2015
1) The tireless team behind words(on)pages is preparing to launch Issue 7 of (parenthetical) with the help of featured readers Eric Schmaltz and Astoria Felix. This launch will also celebrate words(on)stages’ one-year anniversary, with contributors from the current issue (as well as those from past editions) sharing their work. For event details, check the snazzy poster to your right.
2) The Writers’ Trust of Canada has announced three finalists for the 2015 RBC Bronwen Wallace Award for Emerging Writers and they are Irfan Ali (for “Who I Think About When I Think About You”), Alessandra Naccarato (for “Re-Origin of Species”) and Chuqiao Yang (for “Roads Home”). If you’d like to get a head-start and read these emerging voices, you’re in luck: all three winning manuscripts are available to download on iBooks.
3) Wolsak & Wynn’s Buckrider Books imprint will be launching a trio of titles this Thursday: Thrillows & Despairos by Chris Chambers, The Capacity for Infinite Happiness by Alexis Von Konigslow and We Can’t Ever Do This Again by Amber McMillan. 7:30pm, May 7th at Monarch Tavern; be there.
4) On Sunday, May 24th, Janet Turpin Myers launches her new book of fiction The Last Year of Confusion (Seraphim Editions) at the Cedar Springs Community Hall in Burlington. The Book Band has all of the particulars!
5) Again I feel compelled to point out that CKCU’s Literary Landscape is a wonderful radio program that consistently explores new topics and interviews engaging writers. Recent shows have JM Francheteau and Spencer Gordon talking about Pro Wrestling as well as Pearl Pirie sharing excerpts from various Ottawa-area reading series (featuring Mike Caesar and Stephen Brockwell). All of these shows are archived and streamable, so check them out!